1200 applications for 200 New World jobs

01:54, Jul 27 2012
St Martin's New World
NEW DESIGN: Artists' impression of the new St Martin's New World.

Jobs advertised for a rebuilt Christchurch supermarket have attracted about six applications per position.

The $20 million rebuild of the St Martins New World supermarket is nearing completion, with the store due to open in late September.

The former New World building, owned by Foodstuffs, was demolished after being severely damaged in the February 2011 earthquake.

About 169 staff received redundancy notices a month later.

Owner-operator Russell McKenzie said advertisements for up to 200 positions had attracted a "phenomenal response" of about 1200 applications.

These would include some people who had applied for more than one position, and some were original staff applying for their old roles, he said.

Advertisement

Three homes were demolished to make way for the new, larger store, which would be about 3750 square metres.

The internal and outdoor fitout had started, with fencing and trolley bays going in this week.

McKenzie said the design had seismic-proof features, including special piles that went down to an average depth of 18 metres and a "post-tension" concrete floor.

"It's been a very big project," McKenzie said.

"The store can almost be described as a battleship."

The rebuild, which started in July last year, will include other retail areas, such as a bank, cafe and pharmacy.

Foodstuffs South Island general manager of property and retail development Roger Davidson said earlier that the $20m encompassed the piling work that had had to be done, the other retail premises and also plant and equipment.

The replacement costs were fully covered by insurance, he said.

The Press