Wharewaka funding inquiry request refused

TIM DONOGHUE AND HAMISH RUTHERFORD
Last updated 05:00 20/09/2012

Relevant offers

Industries

Wayne Percival new UDC finance chief executive Real estate agent discharged over stinky delivery Kiwi dollar recovers despite looming Greek debt crisis Vilagrad Winery family looks forward after fire Wellington business Mojo Coffee to open in Xi'an, China Smelter site rehab 'encouraged' in district plan The Warehouse compares prices with Farmers in toy catalogue Waiariki ordered to pay $40,000 after tutor crushed by tree Tiwai Point Aluminium Smelter electricity contract deadline expires on Wednesday Jetstar meets with Hamilton leaders ahead of domestic service decision

The auditor-general's office has rejected a request to re-examine construction funding of the wharewaka on Wellington's waterfront.

In July Auditor-General Lyn Provost found no further investigation was needed into how a $7 million government contribution to build the wharewaka was spent, after receiving a complaint from Tata Parata, a former Stokes Valley policeman.

Mr Parata wrote to Ms Provost again last week, asking her to reopen the investigation after new information emerged about transactions and proposed transactions allegedly connected to Sir Ngatata Love, who chaired the Wharewaka o Poneke Charitable Trust until stepping down last month.

But a spokeswoman for Ms Provost told The Dominion Post yesterday the office was unable to revisit Mr Parata's concerns about the Te Wharewaka o Poneke trust because it was a private entity. "We have no power to investigate its activities or audit its accounts," she said.

In his original rejected complaint, Mr Parata said public money was used without proper process.

But Ms Provost said after gathering information from Te Puni Kokiri and the Office of Treaty Settlements she was satisfied no further investigation was warranted.

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content