A man has suffered acid burns to his face and torso at the Synlait milk powder factory near Dunsandel.
St John ambulance service was alerted at 11.21am yesterday and the Westpac Rescue Helicopter flew the 49-year-old man to Christchurch Hospital, where he was treated and discharged.
Synlait manufacturing manager Neil Betteridge said the man, an electrical contractor, was working in the waste-treatment factory beside the milk powder factory when the accident happened.
He had unknowingly leant on a pipe containing sulphuric acid to work on an instrument beside it when the pipe burst, spraying him with acid.
Betteridge said the man went into a safety shower immediately, which minimised the burn injuries.
He was recovering at home and was likely to return to work in the next few day.
Betteridge said the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment was investigating.
The factory had just clocked 500 days injury-free.
''This is a little bit abnormal for us,'' he said.
- © Fairfax NZ News