No Solid Energy inquiry

HAMISH RUTHERFORD
Last updated 13:26 21/03/2013

Relevant offers

Industries

Mentoring magic for southern tour operators opens doors in China No laws broken by KiwiSaver schemes, expert says Tru-Test's subsidiary pauses $4.1m claim after appeal brought forward Audience gain fails to compensate TVNZ for weaker advertising market Protesters let Westpac know their feelings about branch closures NZME's maiden result shows stability in 'challenging environment' Sky talks of going it alone on fibre if necessary and taking Fairfax case to trial Sky TV profit falls 14 per cent as revenue flatlines Kiwibank plans new branches for main centres, nothing for small towns Businesses on both sides of Easter Sunday trading law coin

A bid for an inquiry into the collapse of Solid Energy has been voted down by the commerce select committee.

Damien O'Connor, the Labour MP for West Coast, tabled draft terms of reference which would have looked into the company's activities back to 1998, to cover the former Labour Government's time in office.

However the proposal was voted down by the National Party majority on the committee.

Clayton Cosgrove, Labour's state owned enterprises spokesman said: "The National Party have decided they want to sweep this under the carpet, with job losses, with hundreds of millions [of dollars] of losses going down the toilet, and that's good enough for them."

Jonathan Young, the National MP for New Plymouth and committee chairman, did not attend the meeting, and was replaced by party colleague Todd McClay.

Young had earlier said he was not convinced there needed to be an inquiry.

Ad Feedback

- Stuff

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content