Suppression extended for Palmy SFO accused
JIMMY ELLINGHAM AND MATT NIPPERT
A Palmerston North man facing more than 50 charges laid by the Serious Fraud Office will keep his name secret - for now.
The man appeared in the Palmerston North District Court today and entered no pleas to what court documents list as 54 charges.
The majority of those are for forgery, using forged documents and making false statements.
At his first appearance last month the man was granted temporary name suppression, which expired today, but defence lawyer Peter Brosnahan successfully sought its continuation.
SFO lawyer Grant Burston had no objection and suppression will remain in place until 4pm on April 12.
Brosnahan said the SFO had been given information about "commercial reasons" that proved others would "suffer detrimentally" should the man's identity be published today.
Other orders were made by Judge Gregory Ross, but cannot be published.
The man was remanded on bail until April 26 and refused to comment outside court.
One charge relating to allegations he forged letters purporting to be from a now senior official in the public service was withdrawn by police prosecutor Shelley Watson-Hughes.
Companies Office records show the man was involved with a property company that recently fell into liquidation.
One of that company's shareholders, a Palmerston North businessman, has said he suffered losses from his involvement in the scheme.
- © Fairfax NZ News