TVNZ slashes Wellington, Christchurch newsrooms
TVNZ has revealed plans to its staff to halve the numbers working in its Christchurch and Wellington newsrooms.
Sources said it would be mostly senior staff such as editors losing their jobs.
Reporters will be expected to shoot and edit their own material in some cases.
One video journalist will be placed in Nelson and Queenstown to spread resources.
The changes are due to be finalised by July 1.
In Christchurch, the number of newsroom staff is set to drop from 20 to 10. Sources said Wellington would be hit as badly.
Auckland's newsroom will also lose editors and reporters under the proposal.
A TVNZ spokeswoman said she could not confirm the numbers of job cuts but said the broadcaster had already given information about the changes proposed.
Staff are believed to be worried about the quality of coverage in the South Island and what will happen in cases of big events. Christchurch was previously seen as a back-up centre if a major disaster happened in the North Island.
TVNZ chief executive Kevin Kenrick had previously said the broadcaster planned to cut the number of news editors and producers on its staff and encourage reporters to move to the provinces to cut costs.
TVNZ presenters would not be affected by this particular stage of the company's restructuring, he said.
It is part of a wider redesign of the business that Kenrick has said is needed to "fundamentally lower" TVNZ's costs to reflect the declining advertising market.