Auction pushes the right buttons
Pushing the button to implode Christchurch's Radio Network House in less than eight seconds has topped the list of New Zealand's most viewed auctions of 2012.
Almost 460,000 people viewed the Trade Me auction, which gave the winner the chance to set off the demolition of the earthquake-damaged Worcester St building.
The auction was won for $26,000 by eight demolition companies working in Christchurch, and the money donated towards the restoration of the Isaac Theatre Royal.
The demolition companies gave the honour of pushing the button to Queenstown boy Jayden Halliwell, 6.
Jayden, who was undergoing cancer treatment in Christchurch, pushed the button to trigger the implosion on August 5. Thousands watched the 14-storey building come down in less than eight seconds.
The auction with the second-highest number of views in 2012 gave the winner a chance to put a tattoo on a Wellington woman's bum.
Tina Beznec sold her skin to the Auckland strip club Calendar Girls for $12,450 in January.
The image of a scantily-clad woman posing between the club's initials was tattooed onto the 23-year-old's backside in February.
The auction was viewed 355,889 times. Beznec donated a fifth of her cheque to 9-year-old Nelson boy Phoenix Stafford, who was battling cancer.
Other popular auctions in 2012 included advice and a recording session with much-loved Kiwi musician Neil Finn, charity fundraisers involving a particular yeast-based spread currently in short-supply, and the right to give an Auckland man a new name.
Trade Me spokesman Paul Ford said the list was "wildly diverse".
"Every one of these auctions has got a whole bunch of different elements to capture people's imaginations, whether it's celebrity or humour or political."
The top 10 Trade Me auctions of 2012:
1. Radio Network Implosion, Christchurch. Auction end date: August 1 Views: 429,420 Price: $26,000
2. Your tattoo on my bum, Wellington. Auction end date: January 20 Views: 355,889 Price: $12,450
3. Two days in the studio and advice from Neil Finn, Auckland. Auction end date: January 9 Views: 258,775 Price: $10,150
4. Miles Davis 1955 signed single – original, Martinborough. Auction end date: May 17 Views: 193,936 Price: $990
5. Marmite for charity, Hamilton. Auction end date: March 30 Views: 152,831 Price: $2115
6. 500g limited edition "Smokey" Marmite fundraiser, Palmerston North. Auction end date: September 17 Views: 146,058 Price: $200
7. A crushing fairytale auction, Wellington. Auction end date: July 10 Views: 96,841 Price: $818
8. The right to rename me, Auckland. Auction end date: May 19 Views: 95,286 Price: $2021
9. Win a date with Meghan Mutrie, Wellington. Auction end date: August 29 Views: 89,912 Price: $2,019
10. Ex-boyfriend's GPS fishing co-ordinates, Waikato. Auction end date: January 22 Views: 89,688 Price: $355
- © Fairfax NZ News
The 50c increase in the miminum wage is:Related story: Minimum wage up 50c