We can afford the cost of the latest big quake - Brownlee
The Government is reassuring those who suffered damage in Monday's North Canterbury earthquakes that their EQC claims will be covered.
Earthquake minister Gerry Brownlee said "people should not be at all concerned".
The EQC had a very good reinsurance scheme, with its latest annual report showing it has $4.89 billion in reassurance available.
It also took in $282 million in insurance premiums in the last year.
* Live quake coverage
* Severe 7.5 quake in North Canterbury
* Video: scenes of chaos
* Photos: Huge earthquake shocks New Zealand
* Earthquake jolts NZ: What you need to know
* Earthquake: Report of fatality in Canterbury
* Students told to stay at home after quake
* Tsunami sirens sound across the country
* Tracing the source of the big earthquake
Even if that was used up, the Government stands behind the fund with a guarantee it will meet claims.
Brownlee said the reality was that most of the cost of Monday's quake was in infrastructure, such as roads, rail and below the ground services.
"None of that is covered by EQC."
Local and central government would pick up those costs, and Brownlee said the Government was "very conscious" of the small size of the local authorities affected.
The Government had not walked away from the Christchurch after the 2010-11 earthquakes, he said.
He would have a better idea of the likely cost of the earthquake later on Monday.
The EQC spent $9.4b in its response to the 2010-2011 Canterbury earthquakes, out of the Natural Disaster Fund and from the reinsurance cover it had negotiated prior to the earthquakes.
The EQC pays for the first $100,000 plus GST of damage to a residential dwelling, and $20,000 plus GST of contents damage, and EQC would honour that.
"That's what they've paid for and that's what they'll get," Brownlee said.