BlackBerry loses US$1bn, axes 4500 staff

Last updated 07:49 21/09/2013

Relevant offers

World

Cafe charges tourists for electricity, owner says it's not an internet cafe The way to fix an ageing society is by redefining who is old Samsung chief Jay Y Lee arrested in corruption investigation Yahoo7 fined $320,000 for contempt of court after murder trial aborted because of journalist's article A seven-year-old girl asked Google for a job - and got a personal response from CEO Sundar Pinchai Hundreds of Kiwi accounts involved in Yahoo hack Harrods just started selling 'luxury water' from icebergs for $138 a bottle Wicked Campers put 'on notice', Queensland government says 1.3 million v 1.2 million: China on the verge of overtaking NZ as biggest visitors to Australia Are you good enough to be a part-time chocolate taster?

BlackBerry says it will lay off 4500 employees, or 40 per cent of its global workforce, as it reports a nearly US$1 billion (NZ$1.2b) second-quarter loss in a surprise early release of earnings results.

The stock dropped 19 per cent to US$8.50 after reopening for trading. Shares had been halted pending the news.

BlackBerry had been scheduled to release earnings next week. But the Canadian company said late Friday afternoon it expects a loss of about US$950 million to US$995 million for the quarter, including a massive inventory charge due to increasing market competition.

The BlackBerry, pioneered in 1999, was the dominant smartphone for on-the-go business people and other customers before Apple debuted the iPhone in 2007. Since then, BlackBerry Ltd. has been hammered by competition from the iPhone as well as Android-based rivals like Samsung.

Ad Feedback

- AP

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content