Poisoned NZ-born teen misdiagnosed

Last updated 05:00 11/01/2013
tdn liam stand
DANGEROUS BREW: Liam Davies suffered methanol poisoning after drinking at a bar on the island of Lombok on New Year's Eve.

Relevant offers

Australia

Banker on bail after 'putting bouncer in coma' Coles fined for duping customers 'Rape' T-shirt firm out of business Qantas delays new planes NZ, Australia look to tighten economic ties Toyota to cut 350 Australian jobs New chief executive for News Ltd Making data science a sport Australia cuts OCR for first time since global crisis Qantas risks travellers' wrath for result

The Taranaki-born teenager who died from methanol poisoning after drinking a cocktail in a bar near Bali was misdiagnosed in an Indonesian hospital as having a brain aneurysm, his family has revealed.

Liam Davies, 19, was celebrating with mates on New Year's Day when he fell ill after consuming a vodka and lime mix containing the toxin on Gili Island off the northwest tip of Lombok.

He was taken to a local hospital for treatment and then flown to Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital in his home town of Perth where he died at the weekend when life support equipment was turned off.

His family released a statement yesterday in which they revealed Liam was misdiagnosed in an Indonesian hospital as having a brain aneurysm.

"The ICU team [at SCGH] quickly diagnosed Liam had methanol poisoning ... despite all of their efforts too much time had passed before Liam received the correct medical attention," said the statement, read by Liam's father, Tim.

Ad Feedback

- Taranaki Daily News

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content