Wellington motorists are being credited with helping to catch an alleged drunk driver this afternoon after they used their cars to block his in a tunnel.
Police said members of the public called them when a blue SUV was spotted weaving across three southbound lanes about 3pm today.
The car struck the median barrier a number of times before it came to a halt at the south end of the Terrace Tunnel, Sergeant Doug McGuire said.
Once it had stopped several drivers blocked in the SUV using their vehicles and another person took the alleged drunk driver's keys, he added.
McGuire said police processed a 40-year old-man for drink driving, adding that police wished to thank the motorists who blocked him from continuing his journey.
- Fairfax Media
Is Wellington's traffic network too fragile?
• Reporters: News, Business, Sport, Features
• Newsroom 0800 366 7678
• Website ideas: Email or tweet us
• Place an ad: Email or call 04 474 0000
• Subscribe: Email or call 0800 50 50 90
• No paper: Call 0800 50 50 90
• Start or stop your paper
• View the Digital Edition
• Make dompost.co.nz your homepage