Armed police shut down Courtenay Place in central Wellington after a gun scare this afternoon.
Staff at the Bangalore Polo Club restaurant called police at 2.40pm after spotting a man in the bar with what appeared to be a hand gun sticking out of his pocket, Inspector Dave Rose said.
Armed police blocked the street between Tory St and Taranaki St.
The gun turned out to be a toy plastic gun and the street was reopened by 3.10pm.
Police were speaking to the man, Rose said.
Passer-by John Paintin said Courtenay Pl was packed with people because of the public holiday.
He saw half a dozen police cars outside the Bangalore Polo Club and armed police escort the man out. "He was handcuffed from behind."
- The Dominion Post
Is Wellington's traffic network too fragile?
• Reporters: News, Business, Sport, Features
• Newsroom 0800 366 7678
• Website ideas: Email or tweet us
• Place an ad: Email or call 04 474 0000
• Subscribe: Email or call 0800 50 50 90
• No paper: Call 0800 50 50 90
• Start or stop your paper
• View the Digital Edition
• Make dompost.co.nz your homepage