Police have named the man whose body was found by boaties at the entrance to Wellington Harbour on Monday.
He was Graham Hutcheon, aged 57, from Upper Hutt.
Police said they have seized and would be searching a vehicle belonging to the man which they found near Wellington's ferry terminal.
Meanwhile a post mortem examination is being completed and the final results are yet to come, police said.
Detective Senior Sergeant Mike Sears said police and the Interislander were still trying to determine whether Hutcheon was a passenger on the 8pm Cook Strait crossing sailing on Sunday.
- The Dominion Post
Which Wellington cafe most deserves to win NZ Cafe of the Year?
View obituaries from around the region.
View marriage and birth notices from around the region.
• Reporters: News, Business, Sport, Features
• Newsroom 0800 366 7678
• Website ideas: Email or tweet us
• Place an ad: Email or call 04 474 0000
• Subscribe: Email or call 0800 50 50 90
• No paper: Call 0800 50 50 90
• Start or stop your paper
• View the Digital Edition
• Make dompost.co.nz your homepage