The Paekakariki Hill Rd is back open to traffic after a fallen tree brought power lines down with it earlier today.
Fire Service spokesman Chris Dalton said the road was closed from both ends about 12.30pm and traffic diversions via State Highway 1 and SH58 were put in place.
Two fire engines were put on standby as the lines company inspected the problem.
Paekakariki Fire Service says more trees could fall as strong gusts continue on the hill.
A Wellington Electricity spokesman said 54 homes had power cut along the road and 35 were still waiting to be reconnected.
It was expected all properties would be back on the network by 7pm.
- The Dominion Post
Should an employee be allowed to keep their job despite testing positive for cannabis?
• Reporters: News, Business, Sport, Features
• Newsroom 0800 366 7678
• Website ideas: Email or tweet us
• Place an ad: Email or call 04 474 0000
• Subscribe: Email or call 0800 50 50 90
• No paper: Call 0800 50 50 90
• Start or stop your paper
• View the Digital Edition
• Make dompost.co.nz your homepage
View obituaries from around the region.