Food carts will be keeping the masses fed on the waterfront this summer.
Wellington Waterfront plans to have carts dishing up street food for the public on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from December to March.
The move was an expansion of the successful evening market that ran on Thursday evenings last summer, waterfront chief executive Ian Pike said. "It's about bringing life and making the space more of a place."
The Odlins Plaza area at Taranaki St, where the market was held, and Frank Kitts Park were being looked at for carts, with the latter more of a "lunchtime offering" that could cater to the many office workers who used it during the day.
Food vendors involved in last year's market were enthusiastic, and the plan was to have about eight carts, Pike said. Of those, six would be in the Odlins Plaza and the other two in Frank Kitts Park.
The full market - including crafts and entertainment - would still run on the Thursday evening, and they would consider extending the market to all three nights if there was enough demand.
Entertainment that complemented existing venues such as Macs Brew Bar and St Johns could be looked at on Friday nights.
The council-owned company would be spending about $3000 on the project, but expected to break even through revenue, Pike said.
- The Dominion Post
Is signing young college students a good idea to get the Lions back on track?Related story: Scots duo go pro as Wellington lock in talent
View obituaries from around the region.
View marriage and birth notices from around the region.
• Reporters: News, Business, Sport, Features
• Newsroom 0800 366 7678
• Website ideas: Email or tweet us
• Place an ad: Email or call 04 474 0000
• Subscribe: Email or call 0800 50 50 90
• No paper: Call 0800 50 50 90
• Start or stop your paper
• View the Digital Edition
• Make dompost.co.nz your homepage