Parole Board takes dim view of inmate's antics
A notorious Wellington sexual predator scuppered his chance for getting out of prison when he was caught hiding contraband in a bush.
The Parole Board was not impressed with Dean Hiroki's excuses for hurling a cellphone card on to a roof and hiding other cards and a charger in the bushes, a new report shows.
Prisoners are not allowed cellphones and the Department of Corrections runs multimillion-dollar mobile network-jamming technology in the country's prisons to prevent them being used if smuggled in.
Hiroki was jailed in 1999 along with his 14-year-old foster son Maka Renata after they dragged a 26-year-old Wellington woman into a Cuba St alleyway, held a knife to her throat and took turns raping her.
Child, Youth and Family later admitted its mistake in placing the teenager with Hiroki, who had failed to mention his history of rape convictions.
Hiroki, then a senior Mongrel Mob member, was ordered to serve a sentence of preventive detention with a minimum non-parole period of 12 years' imprisonment. He first became eligible for parole in 2011.
The board's report said his crimes were appalling and he was described by his sentencing judge as a "dangerous sexual predator".
When Hiroki was last seen by the board in July 2013 he was considered too high risk for release but had been making rehabilitative efforts.
He had been living on prison grounds at Te Whare Oranga Ake, a unit for male Maori offenders to help them prepare for release and cut ties with gangs. The report said Hiroki had made "encouraging" progress doing community work and going on shopping outings as part of his release to work programme.
However, on May 10 he was captured on CCTV footage hiding a cellphone charger and Sim cards in bushes and throwing a cellphone card on to a rooftop. He told the board that the contraband items were for his own use.
Its report noted his excuse - that he smuggled the contraband "deliberately" to be reintegrated into mainstream prison because he had fears for his safety in the Whare. The board members, considered the excuse "hollow", the report said.
Hiroki was refused parole on the basis that he had no satisfactory release plan and needed to regain lost ground to prove he was no longer an undue safety risk to the community.
- The Dominion Post
Is Wellington's traffic network too fragile?
• Reporters: News, Business, Sport, Features
• Newsroom 0800 366 7678
• Website ideas: Email or tweet us
• Place an ad: Email or call 04 474 0000
• Subscribe: Email or call 0800 50 50 90
• No paper: Call 0800 50 50 90
• Start or stop your paper
• View the Digital Edition
• Make dompost.co.nz your homepage