About 40 people were evacuated from Coastlands Aquatic Centre in Paraparaumu, north of Wellington, this morning when smoke from burning toast set off smoke detectors.
Paraparaumu fire station officer Jason Brinck said they were alerted to the smoke at about 10.30am and on arrival were told billowing smoke had come from a staff member burning toast in the staff room.
The fire service evacuated the building and ventilated it to get rid of a lot of smoke, Brink said.
The incident was a reminder to "keep looking while you are cooking", he said. ."You should never leave cooking unattended," he said.
- The Dominion Post
Should Wellington drop Snapper in favour of Auckland's HOP card?Related story: Wellington move away from Snapper card - unfathomable
View obituaries from around the region.
View marriage and birth notices from around the region.
• Reporters: News, Business, Sport, Features
• Newsroom 0800 366 7678
• Website ideas: Email or tweet us
• Place an ad: Email or call 04 474 0000
• Subscribe: Email or call 0800 50 50 90
• No paper: Call 0800 50 50 90
• Start or stop your paper
• View the Digital Edition
• Make dompost.co.nz your homepage