A 13-year-old girl is in a critical condition after shooting herself at her Gisborne home last night.
Police were investigating how the teenager came to have the firearm in her possession and how she suffered the injuries.
Hawke's Bay senior sergeant Clint Adamson said there was no suggestion that an intruder had entered the house.
''We are not seeking anyone else. It does not appear suspicious''.
Emergency services were called to the Stevens Rd home in Pouawa about 11.30pm.
A Gisborne Hospital spokeswoman said the teenager had been admitted to the intensive care unit and remained in a critical condition.
- The Dominion Post
Should an employee be allowed to keep their job despite testing positive for cannabis?
• Reporters: News, Business, Sport, Features
• Newsroom 0800 366 7678
• Website ideas: Email or tweet us
• Place an ad: Email or call 04 474 0000
• Subscribe: Email or call 0800 50 50 90
• No paper: Call 0800 50 50 90
• Start or stop your paper
• View the Digital Edition
• Make dompost.co.nz your homepage
View obituaries from around the region.