Power has been fully restored to Upper Hutt and the Wairarapa after a major blackout this afternoon. Masterton's electricity was the last to be restored, coming on at 3.30pm.
About 38,000 people lost power at 1pm in Upper Hutt and the Wairarapa, including Greytown, Carterton, Masterton and Martinborough.
The fault was caused by a fire at the Masterton substation, sparked when a birds' nest came into contact with electrical equipment, Transpower spokeswoman Rebecca Wilson said.
Upper Hutt homes and businesses started to get power restored at 1.55pm, and Greytown's power was restored by 2.15pm.
Have you been affected by the cuts? Email us at email@example.com
- The Dominion Post
Should an employee be allowed to keep their job despite testing positive for cannabis?
• Reporters: News, Business, Sport, Features
• Newsroom 0800 366 7678
• Website ideas: Email or tweet us
• Place an ad: Email or call 04 474 0000
• Subscribe: Email or call 0800 50 50 90
• No paper: Call 0800 50 50 90
• Start or stop your paper
• View the Digital Edition
• Make dompost.co.nz your homepage