A soldier has died after being injured during a rugby league game at Linton Military Camp near Palmerston North.
Lieutenant Samuel Andrew Scott was critically injured on Friday during an intra-unit league nines competition. He died this morning at Wellington Hospital's intensive care unit.
A statement from Scott's family said he died playing a game he loved, in a job he loved. Scott was in the Royal New Zealand Corps of Signals.
"Sam passed away peacefully this morning, surrounded by family and Army friends.
"The Army is supporting the family greatly during this difficult time."
A WorkSafe New Zealand spokesman said the Defence Force had informed them of the incident and it was investigating further.
- The Dominion Post
Is Wellington's traffic network too fragile?
• Reporters: News, Business, Sport, Features
• Newsroom 0800 366 7678
• Website ideas: Email or tweet us
• Place an ad: Email or call 04 474 0000
• Subscribe: Email or call 0800 50 50 90
• No paper: Call 0800 50 50 90
• Start or stop your paper
• View the Digital Edition
• Make dompost.co.nz your homepage