An arson plagued flat on Allenby Tce in Wellington has been damaged by fire again.
Several small fires were lit in the derelict house at about 5.30pm but fire fighters had extinguished them by 7pm.
Eight fire appliances attended after authorities were alerted to smoke coming from the upper storey. Pedestrians being prevented from walking down the alleyway.
A neighbour from the terrace, who did not wish to be named, said her son saw smoke about 5.30pm and she called the fire service. The house had had an asbestos problem, she said. Fire fighters arrived within minutes of her making the call, she said.
Their robust response was justified because it was so windy and any fire could catch fast, the neighbour said.
An Allenby Tce resident, Brendan Leigh, said he could see only smoke coming from the house. He was leaving the cordon but had not been asked to evacuate, he said.
The terrace was blocked to traffic from Salamanca Rd to near Boulcott St while the fire was being fought causing significant traffic delays. Traffic is now flowing normally.
- The Dominion Post
Which Wellington cafe most deserves to win NZ Cafe of the Year?
View obituaries from around the region.
View marriage and birth notices from around the region.
• Reporters: News, Business, Sport, Features
• Newsroom 0800 366 7678
• Website ideas: Email or tweet us
• Place an ad: Email or call 04 474 0000
• Subscribe: Email or call 0800 50 50 90
• No paper: Call 0800 50 50 90
• Start or stop your paper
• View the Digital Edition
• Make dompost.co.nz your homepage