Former bus driver and scoutmaster Godfrey Ball, who was charged with sexually assaulting boys, has been found dead at his Masterton home.
Ball, who was also known as Geoffrey Ball, was charged in June with 12 representative charges, including indecent assault and doing indecent acts, against three boys between 1964 and 1985 in Wellington.
The boys were then aged between 7 and 16. Ball, 78, was granted bail in Masterton District Court in June and was due to reappear next month, when he would have been required to plead.
He was not given name suppression.
He was found dead last Thursday, Detective Sergeant Bill van Woerkom, of Masterton Police, said.
The death was not being treated as suspicious and police were investigating on behalf of the coroner.
All known alleged victims of Ball had been advised of his death and police were liaising with the court about the outcome of the current charges, van Woerkom said.
- The Dominion Post
Should an employee be allowed to keep their job despite testing positive for cannabis?
• Reporters: News, Business, Sport, Features
• Newsroom 0800 366 7678
• Website ideas: Email or tweet us
• Place an ad: Email or call 04 474 0000
• Subscribe: Email or call 0800 50 50 90
• No paper: Call 0800 50 50 90
• Start or stop your paper
• View the Digital Edition
• Make dompost.co.nz your homepage