Driver thought drag race was over

TRACEY CHATTERTON
Last updated 13:52 12/08/2014
Maree Schafer
Supplied
TRAGIC LOSS: Maree Schafer.
Matthew O'Sullivan
JOHN COWPLAND/Fairfax NZ
CHARGES: Matthew O'Sullivan.

Relevant offers

Matthew O'Sullivan thought a drag race was over when his mate sped past him, through an intersection and into a tree.

O'Sullivan had been leading the Ford vs Holden race down a rural Napier road but hit the brakes approaching the Meeanne Rd intersection.

The cars allegedly reached 180kmh when they raced on February 19 last year to see which car was faster.

The Ford slowed but Holden driver Brandan Lawrence was unaware he was approaching the intersection, saw an opportunity to pass, and accelerated.

Lawrence lost control and slid sideways for 120 metres before slamming driver's side first into a large tree.

Maree Schafer, 18, was sitting in the backseat of the Holden and suffered serious head injuries.She died at the scene.

O'Sullivan, 21, who was racing his new Ford Falcon, has been charged with racing causing death, and racing causing injury.

He is defending the charges in the Napier District Court this week.

He told police he thought the race was over because the intersection was the finish line.

The court heard that O'Sullivan was shocked when Lawrence accelerated past him. He told police he thought, "Are you for real?"

He knew Lawrence would not be able to stop before the intersection.

"I knew it [the intersection] was there, and I had to brake heavily."

O'Sullivan pulled up next to the crashed car and "freaked out a bit", the court heard.

Schafer was covered in blood and not responding. He tried to talk to Lawrence and his passenger and entered their injuries into his phone so he could later tell emergency services.

O'Sullivan told police he often went cruising with friends but was not a drag racer. That night was his first and only time, the court heard. 

"If I could turn back time I would but I can't, it happened," he said in a police statement.

Lawyer Scott Jefferson said O'Sullivan was not responsible for the crash because he braked and slowed down well before the intersection.

"He [Lawrence] gunned it...it was not part of any race, the race was over."

Claiming the race had finished before the crash was "splitting hairs", Crown prosecutor Clayton Walker said.

Everyone that encouraged the "highly reckless, highly dangerous" race was responsible.

Lawrence, who was 19 at the time, had pleaded guilty and been sentenced for racing causing death and racing causing injury. Jesse Ellmers, a passenger who had encouraged the race and Adam O'Sullivan who started the race had also pleaded guilty and been sentenced on the two charges.

Ad Feedback

Two young inexperienced drivers racing powerful cars was "stupidity of the highest order," Walker said.

The trial has adjourned for the day. The judge will sum up tomorrow morning.

- The Dominion Post

Special offers
Opinion poll

Should Wellington have a new convention centre?

Yes, the Hilton is a missed opportunity

Yes, but there's no need for another hotel and the price was too high

Yes, and it would be much better on Interisland wharf

No, Wellington has enough such facilities for its size

Vote Result

Related story: $100m Hilton project back to drawing board

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Family Notices
Deaths - dom

Death Notices

View obituaries from around the region.

Celebrations - Dom

Celebrations

View marriage and birth notices from around the region.

Contact us Dominion

• Reporters: News, Business, Sport, Features
• Newsroom 0800 366 7678
• Website ideas:
Email or tweet us
• Place an ad: Email or call 04 474 0000
• Subscribe: Email or call 0800 50 50 90
• No paper: Call 0800 50 50 90
Start or stop your paper
• View the Digital Edition
• Make dompost.co.nz your homepage

Follow us
DPT SM ICONS