A house fire that badly damaged a Newtown flat has now been put out.
Assistant area commander Paul Smith said a bystander called 111 shortly after 8am after seeing the fire in the two-storey Coromandel St house.
At the peak of the fire, 30 firefighters battled the blaze, which began in the basement and moved through the first, then second floors.
Firefighters used a chainsaw to cut the walls to get to the fire.
The house of two flats was evacuated when fire crews arrived.
Nobody was hurt, Smith said.
Final crews at the scene were being stood down at 12.30pm, a Fire Service spokesman said.
The cause of the fire was unknown.
- The Dominion Post
Should an employee be allowed to keep their job despite testing positive for cannabis?
• Reporters: News, Business, Sport, Features
• Newsroom 0800 366 7678
• Website ideas: Email or tweet us
• Place an ad: Email or call 04 474 0000
• Subscribe: Email or call 0800 50 50 90
• No paper: Call 0800 50 50 90
• Start or stop your paper
• View the Digital Edition
• Make dompost.co.nz your homepage