A suspected gas leak led to a busy Wellington street being cordoned off for more than an hour.
Firefighters blocked off a large area of Cuba Street, near Hotel Bristol, as a precaution while they investigated where a smell of gas was coming from, a Fire Service communications spokesman said.
The gas has now been switched off in the street while firefighters continue to look for the origin of the leak, he said.
The cordon was lifted once the gas was switched off, he said.
Is signing young college students a good idea to get the Lions back on track?Related story: Scots duo go pro as Wellington lock in talent
View obituaries from around the region.
View marriage and birth notices from around the region.
• Reporters: News, Business, Sport, Features
• Newsroom 0800 366 7678
• Website ideas: Email or tweet us
• Place an ad: Email or call 04 474 0000
• Subscribe: Email or call 0800 50 50 90
• No paper: Call 0800 50 50 90
• Start or stop your paper
• View the Digital Edition
• Make dompost.co.nz your homepage