Country's deadliest roads identified
New Zealand's deadliest stretches of roads have been highlighted in a new report rating the country's state highways for risk.
The report out today is by the New Zealand Road Assessment Programme (KiwiRAP), a partnership between the New Zealand Automobile Association and government transport agencies.
KiwiRAP has produced risks maps of the country's state highways using traffic and crash data for a five-year period from 2002.
To compare the level of risk between different parts of the state highways the network was broken into sections, known as links.
The report examined 10,856km of highways separating out 172 links ranging in length from 2.4km to 318km.
The report also looked at two types of risk - collective risk and personal risk.
KiwiRAP spokesman Mike Noon said collective risk maps were based on the total number of crashes on a road, while personal risk maps are based on the likelihood of an individual being involved in a crash on that road.
"The purpose of KiwiRAP really is to increase public awareness that not all roads are the same. Motorists who are aware of the higher risk roads can then adjust their driving to take extra care."
He said New Zealand's unique geography posed special challenges both for road builders and motorists.
"Reducing our road toll will require safer drivers, in safer vehicles, on safer roads. KiwiRAP provides an excellent way of measuring the safety of our roads."
The 10 links that have the highest collective risk are:
1. State Highway 2 from Napier to Hastings.
2. SH2 from Mount Maunganui to Paengaroa.
3. SH2 from Bay View to Napier.
4. SH22 from Drury to Pukekohe.
5. SH1 from Paraparaumu to Levin.
6. SH18 Upper Harbour Highway (Auckland).
7. SH1 from Warkworth to Wellsford.
8. SH2 from Pokeno to Mangatarata.
9. SH1 from Orewa to Warkworth.
10. SH58 from Porirua to Upper Hutt.
The 10 links that have the highest personal risk:
1. SH62 from Spring Creek to Renwick (Marlborough).
2. SH37 to Waitomo Caves.
3. SH94 from Te Anau to Milford.
4. SH4 from Raetihito Wanganui.
5. SH31 from Kawhia to SH39
6. SH30 from Te Kuiti to Atiamuri
7. SH8 from Alexandra to Milton.
8. SH96 from Mataura to Ohai.
9. SH1 from Invercargill to Bluff.
10. SH11 from Kawakawa to Puketona.