A 19-year-old woman has admitted lying about being sexually assaulted in the coastal settlement of Te Awanga near Hastings last Monday.
Police said the teenager was re-interviewed after they conducted inquiries and examined forensic evidence.
"It is very disappointing and frustrating that this young woman falsely reported a crime," Detective Senior Sergeant Dave de Lange said.
"Considerable time and resources were put into investigating this matter at the expense of other investigations."
The woman has been referred to counselling services.
Police said a decision would be made as to whether charges would be laid against her.
Should an employee be allowed to keep their job despite testing positive for cannabis?
• Reporters: News, Business, Sport, Features
• Newsroom 0800 366 7678
• Website ideas: Email or tweet us
• Place an ad: Email or call 04 474 0000
• Subscribe: Email or call 0800 50 50 90
• No paper: Call 0800 50 50 90
• Start or stop your paper
• View the Digital Edition
• Make dompost.co.nz your homepage