Suspicious fire at two-storey state house in Epuni, Lower Hutt
A fire that broke out at a Housing New Zealand property in the Lower Hutt suburb of Epuni on Monday night is being treated as suspicious.
Emergency services were called to the state house in Hampton Court, near Epuni train station, about 9.30pm.
The blaze at the two-storey building was "well-involved" by the time firefighters arrived, fire service central communications shift manager Belinda Beets said.
The fire was out by 11.10pm, but fire crews would work through the night to dampen down hotspots.
One firefighter suffered minor injuries battling the blaze. Others were decontaminated at the scene due to concerns about asbestos contamination.
Police were also at the scene, with firefighters set to guard the property overnight.
At this stage, the fire appeared to be suspicious, Beets said.
The house was due to be demolished next week due to asbestos, One News reported.