A 20-year-old woman has died after the car she was driving crashed through a guard rail on a bridge and plunged into a river near Hunterville.
The crash occurred at about 9pm on Turakina Valley Road.
She was Keryn Swainson, from Hunterville.
Police said preliminary indications suggested the driver had failed to take a right-hand bend and crashed into the guardrail and river as a result.
The woman was the sole occupant of the vehicle and there were no other vehicles involved in the crash.
The Serious Crash Unit was investigating and the death had been referred to the coroner, police said.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Do you hold a driver's licence?Related story: Driving test pass rates drop
View obituaries from around the region.
View marriage and birth notices from around the region.
• Reporters: News, Business, Sport, Features
• Newsroom 0800 366 7678
• Website ideas: Email or tweet us
• Place an ad: Email or call 04 474 0000
• Subscribe: Email or call 0800 50 50 90
• No paper: Call 0800 50 50 90
• Start or stop your paper
• View the Digital Edition
• Make dompost.co.nz your homepage