Shelter manager rescues men from fire
A Wellington night shelter manager has been praised for pushing through thick smoke to rescue two residents.
One room was damaged and two people treated for smoke inhalation after a room caught fire at the shelter on Taranaki Street shortly before 10pm this evening.
Night shelter shift supervisor Vincent Hartley said the lights were already out for the downstairs clients’ curfew when the alarm sounded.
A crowd of shelter occupants waited outside as five fire engines, an ambulance and police cars blocked the street as they dealt with the fire in an empty room on the upper storey, which houses the shelter’s permanent residents.
Shelter Duty Manager Peter Burke earned firefighters’ praise after he rushed upstairs and evacuated two elderly residents to safety.
There he had found the hallway ‘‘thick’’ with billowing black smoke. Burke said he soon exhausted the fire extinguisher and helped two men, including one in his eighties, to safety.
‘‘I was trying to put out the fire and help the fellas at the same time — it was pretty freaky,’’ he said.
The pair suffered minor smoke inhalation and were treated by Wellington Free Ambulance paramedics. It was not yet known whether the fire was suspicious, Wellington fire station senior officer Paul Lyall said.
- Fairfax Media
Is this the best summer ever?Related story: Wellington sizzles in January heat
View obituaries from around the region.
View marriage and birth notices from around the region.
• Reporters: News, Business, Sport, Features
• Newsroom 0800 366 7678
• Website ideas: Email or tweet us
• Place an ad: Email or call 04 474 0000
• Subscribe: Email or call 0800 50 50 90
• No paper: Call 0800 50 50 90
• Start or stop your paper
• View the Digital Edition
• Make dompost.co.nz your homepage