Murder or accident? <font color=#cc0000><font size=1><b>(warning: graphic images)</font></font color></b>
Turning her head to see if she has slipped the pursuing paparazzi, Diana, Princess of Wales, is shown seated in the back of a Mercedes just moments before her death.
The Conspiracy Theory
The picture was shown publicly for the first time yesterday, on the opening day of the inquest into Diana's death – 10 years and 32 days after the Paris crash that killed her, her boyfriend Dodi Fayed and driver Henri Paul.
The photo was just one of several shown to the jury in London's High Court and made available to the public by coroner Lord Justice Scott Baker. The images, which detail Diana's last moments, form a crucial part of the evidence which will be considered by the jury during the next six months as they attempt to determine "once and for all" the cause of the crash.
The coroner told the jury of six women and five men they must fully and fearlessly examine whether or not there was any truth in the claims that Diana was assassinated.
It was their job, he said, to decide whether the couple were simply the victims of a tragic accident or whether, as Dodi's father, Mohamed Al Fayed, believes, the crash was "murder in the furtherance of a conspiracy by the establishment, in particular His Royal Highness Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, who used the secret services to carry it out". The coroner said there were "many members of the public who are concerned that something sinister may have caused the collision".
THE CONSPIRACY THEORY
The 10 key claims on which Mohamed Al Fayed bases his allegation that Diana and Dodi were murdered:
1. Driver Henri Paul was a informant of MI6 who was handed 2000 pounds by secret service agents the day before the crash.
2. Paul was not drunk but has been the victim of a smear campaign to suggest that he was intoxicated and speeding.
3. Diana's phone was being monitored by MI6 and the CIA, who knew that she was about to announce her engagement to Dodi.
4. MI6 is known to be involved in assassinations, including a plot to kill the former Serbian leader Slobodan Milosevic.
5. Two senior MI6 agents were based at the British embassy in Paris on the night Diana died and they orchestrated her death.
6. Diana's body was illegally embalmed in Paris to conceal an alleged pregnancy, on the orders of the British authorities.
7. The results of the autopsy examination on Henri Paul were fabricated, with blood samples switched by MI6.
8. The security services ensured that all CCTV cameras on the route taken by the Mercedes were "inoperative".
9. The crash was caused by a combination of a blinding flash from a "stun gun" and a deliberate collision with a Fiat Uno, which has never been traced.
10. The Alma tunnel, in which the crash happened, was not on the obvious route Henri Paul would have taken from the Ritz hotel to Dodi's flat and there is "no credible explanation" for why he would have chosen to go through the tunnel.
- Telegraph Group