Little benefit in lifted quake threshold - expert

HANK SCHOUTEN
Last updated 13:28 23/01/2013

Relevant offers

Commercial Property

Wellington's former Red Cross building on the market Chow brothers move Auckland property into NZAX-listed shell company RIS Group Large development land parcel in Napier on the market Former post office in Lower Hutt to be converted into apartments Low vacancy rates in Wellington and Auckland office and retail sectors Gaming company Aurora 44 brings new life to former CIT complex Petone Grenada Link road making life difficult for Petone businesses Low voter turnout could block trusts attempt to sell land at of Shelly Bay Bumper year for hotel sector in 2015 sees 11 hotels sell for $290m Lower Hutt warehouse with opportunity to redesign up for sale

Lifting the earthquake prone building threshold from 33 to 67 per cent of new building standard is of questionable benefit, says a British risk management expert hired by the Government.

Tony Taig, who has written a report for the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, says no building that had been strengthened to the 33 per cent threshold or better collapsed and killed anyone in the Canterbury earthquake on February 22, 2011. 

''Buildings strengthened over and above the current threshold sustained less damage than those strengthened just to the threshold, but many such buildings in Christchurch were pulled down anyway as engineers were reluctant to vouch for their structural integrity after the earthquake.'' 

''When it comes to saving lives, Christchurch gives us confidence that upgrading all vulnerable buildings to the current earthquake-prone building threshold [33 per cent] would be of major benefit.

''Other important measures we can be confident would save lives include bringing high-risk buildings not yet identified into the earthquake-prone building framework; and paying equal attention to other hazards from earthquakes such as landslides and collapsing cliffs,'' Mr Taig said. 

New Zealand has an estimated 15,000 to 25,000 buildings deemed to be likely to collapse in a moderate earthquake.

Mr Taig said the immediate focus should be on bringing vulnerable buildings up to the current earthquake-prone building threshold of 33 per cent of new building standard, rather than on raising that threshold.

The February 22 earthquake produced some of the most severe shaking recorded in any urban area in the world. In parts of Christchurch everything normally held down by gravity was effectively thrown up into the air, including buildings, people, cars and roads.  

Had the earthquake happened at night when more of the population was at home, there would have been considerably more fatalities in areas like the Port Hills. Several homes there were destroyed by collapsing slopes, and more than 50 homes were struck by boulders.

Contact Hank Schouten
Property reporter
Email: hank.schouten@dompost.co.nz

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post

Comments

Special offers
Opinion poll

Do you rent or own your home?

Rent alone

Rent with others

Own with mortgage

Own freehold

Vote Result

Related story: $1m-plus in unclaimed bonds

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content