Top 10: Fish and chip shops
Where to find the good batter in Wellington
There are so many options for takeaways in the capital, with fish and chips among the most popular - so which shops come recommended? We give you the inside scoop.
* If it's a crispy batter that gets your heart racing, try the fish at Wellington Trawling Sea Market in upper Cuba St. It offers a range of fresh fish from the morning's catch, and a good serving of chips. 220 Cuba St.
* So popular it has its own Facebook fan page, Te Aro Fish Supplies is known for big helpings of chips and big burgers. The paua fritters come strongly recommended. 85 Aro St, Aro Valley.
* People will drive across town to get to Starfish Fish and Chips To Go in Thorndon. They do a beautiful piece of fish, although you will need to pay extra if you like them crumbed. 146 Molesworth St, Thorndon.
* A favourite among Newtown residents, family business Fish Fins does big, almost wedge-sized chips and a lightly battered fish with lemon pepper seasoning. 170 Riddiford St, Newtown.
* For those who can't quite make a trip into the city, Raumati Fish Supply fillets locally caught fish every morning, hand-cuts chips and makes its own hamburger patties. 344 Rosetta Rd, Raumati Beach.
* Seaview Takeaways in Lyall Bay is popular with locals - so popular there are lengthy waits on sunny Friday and Saturday evenings. Suitably greasy but not too much, and their noodle dishes are damn good, too. 92 Lyall Bay Pde.
* Wadestown Seafoods, a reader told us last year, rates 10 out of 10. "They use fresh fish and clean oil. There are great additions to the standard fare, like stuffed chicken wings and crispy chicken." 15 Sefton St.
* Another reader recommended Linden Fish & Chips. "Our family goes into denial each year when they close for a break. Nowhere else comes close. We've even eaten at Rick Stein's fish and chip restaurant in [Cornwall], and while the fish was great there, overall we still prefer our local." 1 Collins Ave, Linden.
* And another recommended Plimmerton Fish Supply.
"Beautiful, fresh fish in delicious, crispy batter, golden chips fried in canola oil, served by your friendly hosts . . . rating 10/10 - the daily crowds and queues are testament to their popularity." 2 Beach Rd, Plimmerton.
* A recent Dominion Post survey showed some other popular deep-fry havens, such as Johnsonville Fish Supply, 11 Johnsonville Rd.
* So Fine Seafoods, 2 Tennyson Ave, Lower Hutt, also scored highly.
Are more speed cameras good for Wellington's roads?Related story: 200 sites for hi-tech speed cameras