Where to see the Guy Fawkes fireworks
This year's fireworks display in Wellington will include dragon and giant bee effects, as well as a soundtrack by percussion group Strike.
Pyrotechnicians nationwide had seen a boost in the number of organised public shows put on this year, Wellington's Pelorus Trust Sky Show choreographer Robert McDermott said.
There was also more firepower to play with for this year's event - a 12-minute spectacle set to music by Wellington percussion group Strike.
Mr McDermott said public displays were enjoyed by people of all ages, while bringing none of the safety risks of at-home fireworks.
This message was echoed by the New Zealand Fire Service, who encouraged fireworks fans to head to their nearest public display.
Fire Service national commander Paul Baxter said more people were choosing public displays over fireworks at home.
Because of this and restrictions put on the sale of fireworks in 2007, the Fire Service had seen a dramatic drop in the number of emergency calls made to them over the Guy Fawkes period.
"In recent years, the only noticeable increase in fire-related calls has been on the nights that the event is widely celebrated - usually the Saturday closest to November 5," Mr Baxter said.
There was a nationwide spike in calls on November 5 last year, up 60 per cent from previous years.
- Pelorus Trust Sky Show, over Wellington waterfront. Monday, November 5, 9pm, free.
- Te Marua Speedway Fireworks Night, Te Marua Speedway, Upper Hutt. Saturday, November 3, 7pm, adult $20, child $10.
- Waitohu School Fireworks Extravaganza, Haruatai Park, Otaki. Friday November 2, 6.30pm gates open, fireworks when dark, adult $8, child $5.
- Gisborne Speedway Guy Fawkes Fireworks Spectacular, Eastland Group Raceway, Gisborne. Saturday November 3, 7pm, adult $20, child $8.
- Starlight Cinema Fireworks Extravaganza, Owen Delany Park, Taupo. Sat Nov 3, 5.30pm gates open, fireworks at 9pm, adult $5, child $3.
- Blast in the Park Fireworks Fundraiser, Anderson Park, Havelock North. Saturday November 3, 6pm gates open, 9pm fireworks, adult $10, child $5.
- Napier Fireworks Extravaganza, Tremain Field, Park Island, Napier. Sunday November 4, 6.30pm show, 9pm fireworks, adult $10, child $5.
- Masterton Host Waipoua Lions Club fireworks, Solway Showgrounds, Masterton. Saturday November 3, 6pm gates open, fireworks when dark, adult $5, child $3.
- Martinborough Guy Fawkes Fireworks Display, Considine Park, Martinborough. Saturday November 3, 6pm gates open, fireworks when dark, gold coin donation to Martinborough School Year 7-8 ski trip.
The Dominion Post