Winners and losers for Hobbit cafe scene

Courtenay Pl balconies booked out for premiere

SOPHIE SPEER
Last updated 05:00 22/11/2012
Regal Chinese Restaurant owner Oliver Lai
ROSS GIBLIN/Fairfax NZ
FAN SITE: Regal Chinese Restaurant owner Oliver Lai says the Courtenay Place eatery has been booked out for The Hobbit premiere.
Opinion poll

Have you made plans for the Hobbit premiere next week?

No, I couldn't care less

I might see if I can get a glimpse

Yes, I'm taking the day off!

What's The Hobbit?

Vote Result

Relevant offers

Capital Life

My Secret Wellington: Comedian Vaughan King Comedian Miles Allen cooks up Breaking Bad parody 150 years of news - Wellington gets disco fever Make a meal of it for Kaibosh Wellington cat lover leaves $400K to the SPCA Agency: Modern-day Mad Med web series takes the mickey out of marketing A Wellington cafe crawl 150 years of news - Chloe brings fame and shame to Wainuiomata Wellington students to break the coding stereotype Beerhive Blog: Beer apps to complement your brew

Fans of The Hobbit have booked out window tables and balcony seats at restaurants and bars in Courtenay Place to be close to the action for Wednesday's premiere.

Regal Chinese Restaurant owner Oliver Lai said two of their six balcony tables - each seating 10 people - were booked out the day the premiere date was announced.

The remaining four have since been booked, and the restaurant is expecting a busy day.

"We're pretty much booked out," Mr Lai said. "Traditionally, we do get a pretty good view [of the red carpet], and people are even trying to get on our roof."

Streetside restaurants have been told they must take in their footpath tables from 6am on the day of the premiere.

Hummingbird owner Mary Coleman said having her outside licence rescinded had cost her money. The restaurant has been booked out for a party, but it had had to offer a discount because of the lack of outdoor space.

"With, what, 170 film crews coming, making the streets look barren, I don't think it's a good look," she said.

Sweet Mother's Kitchen also must remove outdoor seating, cutting seating by about a quarter.

Owner Diana Parker said the council had been "unsympathetic" in forcing restaurant and bar owners to remove their seating by 6am, despite celebrations not kicking off until after noon.

After being barricaded in during the Return of the King premiere in 2003, Deluxe Expresso Bar will close early.

Manager Fiona Hewitt said people would be unable to access the cafe so it planned to close at 4pm.

Contact Sophie Speer
Culture and Capital Day reporter
Email: sophie.speer@dompost.co.nz
Twitter: @sophie_speer

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post

Comments

Special offers
Opinion poll

Will you go to CubaDupa, the Cuba St carnival?

Yes, it looks like it'll be amazing!

I'll see what the weather does

No, it's basically just another community fair

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content