Secrets buried in Wellington's streets

00:20, Dec 19 2013
Newlands Rd 2013
Now: Newlands Rd, 2013. The huge amount of in-filling that has taken place is clear.
Newlands Rd 1964
Then: Newlands Rd when it was enlarged in 1964.
Alexandra Road 2013
Now: The road is fully formed and the cars are modern, but the surrounds of Alexandra Rd are relatively untouched.
Alexandra Rd 1931
Then: Work under way at the top of Alexandra Rd, looking south, in 1931.
The Rigi 1927
1927: There's no Talavera Tennis Club and the St Vincent de Paul Church dominates the centre of the photo.
The Rigi 2013
The Rigi, 2013: There are so many trees now that the tennis club in the foreground is hidden. The apartments in the centre left have replace the St Vincent de Paul church.
Tinakori Rd 1962
1929: Major roadworks were undertaken along Tinakori Rd to create Bowen St.
Tinakori Rd 2013
Now: Tinakori Rd, looking north towards the intersection with Bowen St.
Derwent St 2013
Now: Derwent St is full of up-market trendy houses and the rest of Island is built up.
Derwent St 1909
Then: In 1909 Derwent St, running for the bottom left to the top right, was still mainly a dirt road.
Hector St 1958
Then: Hector St, 1958. Looking south, with Seatoun surprisingly underdeveloped.
Owhiro Bay 1925
Then: Owhiro Bay, 1925, with hardly any houses on Owhiro Bay Pde and only a few on Happy Valley Rd, which runs through the centre of the photo into the bay. 
Owhiro Bay 2013
Now: Owhiro Bay, 2013, looking west in the direction of Red Rocks.

The hidden secrets of some of Wellington's streets have been explored this year.

Most we have looked at were named after early settlers or prominent members of the New Zealand Company.

Notable exceptions included Tinakori Rd, which was named after a dispute between Maori employees and their bosses.

It's said a quarrel began when labourers were not given a free meal as part of their pay for completing the road, even though it was customary for employers to do so.

The street subsequently acquired the name Tinakori Rd, a mixture of Maori and Pidgin English, which loosely translates to "no dinner road".

Many of the streets in Wellington also had more than one name.

Advertisement

Alexandra Rd, which has dramatically changed from a barren street to one covered in native bush, used to be called Victoria Rd.

The Wellington fire brigade complained about the number of roads named after Queen Victoria, so it was renamed after Queen Alexandra instead.

But it was what happened in and around the streets of Wellington that captured the imagination of readers and The Wellingtonian writers.

In Newlands Rd we found a strange story of illegal abortions in 1923.

The police had been watching Newlands health specialist Daniel Cooper and his wife, Martha, for months, suspicious they were performing illegal abortions.

A search of the Coopers' Newlands Rd property, a small farm, uncovered three tiny corpses.

Police discovered that as well as performing dozens of illegal abortions, Daniel Cooper had been offering another service.

The Coopers offered unmarried pregnant women a place to stay in their Newlands Rd property and promised to find a home for the babies when they were born.

But it was not easy to find a good home for a child and murdering the newborns was a cheaper and easier solution.

The number of babies murdered was never known.

Cooper was hanged at the Terrace Gaol in 1923.

The Rigi in Kelburn used to be the main coach road to Karori and Pipitea St was the home of Wellington's stocks - now it is host to the much-publicised GCSB spy agency.

Derwent St in Island Bay was infamous in the 1960s because of a dog poisoner.

For five years, the notorious Island Bay Dog Poisoner made vicious attacks on residents' beloved pets with strychnine, a toxic pesticide.

Several Derwent St family pets were killed, but the police and public were stumped.

The editor of The Evening Post made a plea for the senseless cruelty to stop.

Miraculously, the editorial appeared to work, though the poisoner was never found.

Pirie St was the site of a serious tram crash in 1920. Three people died and many others were injured.

The tram had raced down Pirie St and the driver lost control.

The car tipped when it was rounding the Brougham St corner.

There was also a shooting in Pirie St in 1893, when Louis Albert Sanderson gunned down his stepfather, W J Spencer.

Many of the streets had a nautical link.

Owhiro Bay Pde surrounds a bay that has claimed many ships and at least nine lives.

After one such sinking in 1982, treasure hunters headed out to try to strip the ship's liquor cabinet.

Four sunken ships in the bay are now popular dive spots.

Hector St in Seatoun starts near the area on Seatoun Beach where some passengers from the Wahine were rowed ashore during the never-to-be- forgotten storm on April 10, 1968.

We also travelled out to Somes Island and examined the history of the island's one and only road.

The road is home to a historic pa site and a cemetery for early immigrants who were quarantined there.

There was an animal quarantine there until the mid-1990s.

It was an internment camp for enemy aliens during the two world wars.

ROLL CALL

Streetwise features this year: Newlands Rd, Cambridge Tce, Alexandra Rd, Leeds St, Broadway, Bell Rd, Glen Rd, Cocayne Rd, Stewart Duff Dr, The Rigi, Lakewood Ave, Haining St, Mulgrave St, Abel Smith St, Pipitea St, Tinakori Rd, Derwent St, Courtenay Place, Farmers Ln, Todman St, Roxburgh St, Coutts St, Wilton Rd, Hector St, Old Karori Rd, Weka St, Main Rd Somes Island, Duncan St, Hill St, Wellington Rd, Ballance St, Bolton St, Miramar Ave, Owhiro Bay Pde, Avon St, Wadestown Rd, Pirie St, Boscobel Ln, Quebec St, Campbell St, Landfill Rd, Black Rock Rd, Wakefield St, Lyall Pde, Vivian St, Bing Lucas Dr.

The Wellingtonian