In our new Cooking with Fire series, we're bring you a collection of recipes using an authentic (and possibly homemade) wood fire oven.
MasterChef contestant Eliott Brookes will guide you through delicious recipes that are bound to tickle your tastebuds and leave you wanting more.
This recipe is for a 3kg fish and will work best with snapper or butter fish, although you could use any fish available.
For more on the wood fire cooking craze including contributions from Jamie Oliver and Al Brown check out the video to the left.
SALT CRUST FISH
NEED TO KNOW
|Type of dish||Seafood|
|Cooking time||1 - 2 hours|
|10 cups flaky salt|
|4 egg whites|
|1 cup dukkah - I use Jonathan's Spices Dukkah|
|Large bunch thyme|
|1 lemon sliced|
1. Add egg whites and dukkah to the salt and mix until all the salt is moist.
2. Lay some of the salt (about 3 cups) onto an over tray, enough to cover the bottom of the fish. Stuff fish with lemon and thyme.
3. Lay the fish on the salt base and pack the rest of the salt over the fish making sure there are no gaps. Try for an even coat of about 1cm all around.
4. Cook in pizza oven at about 200c for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and rest for 10 minutes.
5. Crack the salt crust and carefully pull it away from the fish.
Tip: If you leave the scales on the fish the skin should stay intact when you remove the salt and you can then peel it away easily to serve.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Do you hold a driver's licence?Related story: Driving test pass rates drop