In the Kitchen
Rustle up a quick noodle salad for dinner or as part of a shared banquet.
To make your own chilli oil, lightly toast and seed 20 fresh chillies, then grind them in a spice grinder. Heat 2 cups of oil to 155°C and pour it on the chilli powder. Leave for 1 hour, then strain.
Prawns are also lovely in the salad.
CHICKEN AND NOODLE SALAD WITH SPICY SESAME DRESSING
NEED TO KNOW
|Type of dish||Asian|
|Cooking time||<30 min|
|Special options||Low fat|
|250ml shaoxing wine (Chinese rice wine)|
|3 cloves garlic, sliced|
|1 large knob ginger, peeled and sliced|
|½ bunch green (spring) onions, dark green ends only, plus 2 green onions, extra|
|250g skinless chicken breast (free-range or organic, if possible)|
|6 iceberg lettuce leaves, shredded|
|150g fresh egg noodles, blanched, refreshed and drained|
|2 tbsp chopped coriander|
|Spicy sesame dressing|
|1 tsp minced ginger|
|1 tsp minced garlic|
|3 tbsp thick soy sauce|
|1 tsp sugar|
|½ tbsp black vinegar|
|2 tsp sesame paste|
|1 tsp chilli powder|
|2 tbsp chilli oil (see tip above)
1. Place the shaoxing wine, garlic, ginger, green onion ends and 1 litre of water in a pot over a high heat and bring to the boil. Add the chicken, reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
2. Remove the pot from the heat and allow to stand for 20 minutes, then remove the chicken.
3. Mix all the dressing ingredients until well incorporated.
4. Shred the chicken by hand. Shred the remaining 2 green onions, white and green parts.
5. Combine the lettuce, noodles and coriander in a bowl with ⅔ of the dressing. Place the noodle mixture in the middle of a large plate.
6. Top with the chicken and pour the rest of the dressing over. Sprinkle the shredded green onions over the top.
- Good Food