Homegrown staying at home in capital
Other cities are trying to lure Homegrown away from the capital.
But the music festival is not leaving Wellington despite attempts to take it north, organisers say.
Festival organiser Mark Wright said yesterday he had been approached by someone involved in Mt Smart Stadium about moving Homegrown to Auckland.
He would not provide further details but said rumours next year's festival would be the last in Wellington were not true.
"At this stage I have no intention of moving the event from Wellington," he said.
The sixth Homegrown music festival will be held on the Wellington waterfront on March 2 next year, with an exclusively Kiwi lineup, including Kora, Ladi6 and The Black Seeds.
Mr Wright said the event's success had previously attracted interest from other cities, with Hamilton and Dunedin both making offers.
More recently it had been suggested Homegrown could replace the Big Day Out, which pulled out of Auckland this year due to declining ticket sales.
"But you don't fix what ain't broke."
However, it appears Mr Wright has been making inquiries. An Auckland Council spokesman yesterday confirmed Mr Wright had asked about event funding in August.
Mr Wright had asked about applying for the Auckland Council's major event sponsorship for 2013-14, which opens next week, he said.
Asked to respond, Mr Wright said he had no intention to apply for funding from Auckland Council.
"There is no application going in."
A Mt Smart Stadium spokesman also said there had been no approach to move Homegrown from Wellington to the stadium.
Wellington City councillor John Morrison, who heads the sport and event portfolio, said it was well known Auckland was in the hunt for new events but as far as he was aware Homegrown was staying in Wellington.
"We are flattered that other people want it because it's a great show but to our knowledge there is no reality to the rumours."
The council partly funded Homegrown and was committed to "growing" the event, he said.
The Dominion Post