Train victim was Ranfurly Shield player's mother

22:15, Sep 03 2014
Carole Boswell
KILLED: Carole Boswell, who was killed when hit by a train in Napier on Monday, September 1.

The woman killed by a train in Napier on Monday was the mother of one of Hawke's Bay's Ranfurly Shield-winning rugby players.

Carole Boswell, 55, was walking her dog when she was hit by a train on Marine Parade just after 3.30pm.

She is survived by partner Kere Wakefield, their son Trent, 25, daughter Eden, 23, stepdaughter Leanne and Leanne's son.

Trent Boswell-Wakefield is a loose forward for the Hawke's Bay Magpies, who won the shield on Saturday, beating Counties- Manukau 27-21.

Close friend Donna Horgan described Boswell yesterday as "an amazing lady who had an incredible commitment to her family".

"She was 100 per cent behind her children. Supported them in whatever they did and followed them to every game they played," Horgan said.


"She had a huge enthusiasm for life. Whatever she got into, she got into it boots and all."

The family lived for many years at Porangahau, southern Hawke's Bay, before moving to Napier about 12 years ago.

In Porangahau she had been president of the local playcentre when the children were young, was an ambulance officer, and taught first aid.

Recently she had taken up kayaking, and was often paddling in Pandora pond, and acting. She was president of the Little Theatre and had starred in several plays.

For the past few years she had been a funeral celebrant, Horgan said. "She was also into her massage. She had great healing hands. She was an amazing person, and touched so many people in so many ways."

She had been walking her small dog Flo when she killed. Flo suffered serious injuries and had since been put down. "She took Flo for lots of walks. We took her all over the place," Horgan said.

Family had returned Boswell's body to her house in Te Awa Ave yesterday. She will remain there until her funeral tomorrow, at the Salvation Army Hall in Greenmeadows.

Police said the circumstances surrounding her death were being investigated and would be reported to the coroner.

The Dominion Post