Occupy Wellington: We will not be moved

02:07, Nov 18 2011
occupy wellington
THE 99%: Occupy Wellington protesters went on a lunch time march through central Wellington.

Occupy Wellington demonstrators stopped traffic today as they marched in central Wellington.

They arrived at Midland Park from their Civic Square base shortly after noon today chanting ``you are the 99 per cent, we are the 99 per cent'' to mainly bemused looking workers enjoying a sandwich in the sun.

The percentage figure relates to the belief that the wealthiest one per cent hold all the power in the world. The rest are being disadvantaged, the protesters claim.

occupy
SEEING THE SIGNS: The Occupy Wellington protesters have taken over the grassed area on the City to Sea Bridge for more than a month now.

The protesters created what they termed a ``human microphone''  essentially one person calling out a line and the others replying en mass  to get their message heard.

That message focused on the forced eviction of Occupy Wall Street protesters that saw many protesters arrested or injured and the arrest of numerous reporters covering the eviction.

Banners proclaimed undying support for the cause. "You can't evict an idea who's time has come'', scrawled across a piece of cardboard, summed it up well.

Advertisement

Millie Prosser is on a working visa from the UK. She joined in the protest at Midland Park.

"I think what happened in Wall Street was terrible... this is a good way to get the message over."

Kevin Small, from Wellington, watched the protest unfold. He was sympathetic to their cause.

"Everybody understands the general theme of it. I think people are just pissed of in the world, with the banking system and all that, but it is funny how no one can articulate it yet."

About 15 minutes later the protesters turned tail and headed back to Civic Square where a couple of police discreetly appeared on the scene to keep an eye on proceedings.

The protestors have refused to provide a date for when they will vacate their camp tent site at Civic Square.

Wellington City Council chief executive Garry Poole earlier this week asked the demonstrators to provide a definite end date to the occupation.

But the Occupy Wellington general assembly last night reached consensus that no definite departure date could be provided due to the ongoing nature of the national and global problems under discussion.

''Members of the public present at the General Assembly felt that it would be irresponsible to close the public forum provided by Occupy Wellington until there is clear progress towards resolving the pressing issues identified in the Occupy Wellington Vision Statement,'' the protesters said in a letter to the council.

The vision statement says the protesters are standing together ''in solidarity with pro-democracy movements around the world... [which are] unified in our desire for a move towards social, political and economic systems that benefit all.

''Globally, we face increasingly widespread environmental destruction, economic exploitation and disregard for human rights. The institutions perpetrating these abuses against our people and our planet are bigger and more powerful than any government.''

The response to the council coincides with the two month anniversary of the Occupy Wall St movement, and a global day of action taking place in 400 US cities, Canada, Germany, Indonesia, Italy, and here in New Zealand.

Protesters maintain that legal experts and the Police back them in their view that council bylaws do not override the right to protest as protected under the Bill of Rights Act.

Dompost.co.nz has sought a response from Wellington City Council.

Related stories

The great divide between rich and poor

Full coverage: Occupy Wellington


The Dominion Post