The victim of pack rapist Brad Shipton has addressed the Parole Board asking that the former policemen not be allowed to change his terms of release.
Shipton, a former policeman jailed for his part in the rape of a Mt Maunganui woman, applied to have his parole conditions changed earlier this year. His application was considered by the board in mid February.
The details of his application are due to be made public when the board issues its decision this week.
He was granted parole in November 2008 on a raft of conditions, including that he give no interviews and live at a certain address until his sentence end date in 2014.
His female victim – whom The Dominion Post cannot name for legal reasons – made a "nerve-racking" appearance before the Parole Board at Waikeria Prison on Friday.
"I'm just angry that ... he hasn't kind of taken his medicine," the victim said.
Shipton had noted in his application that he wanted to lead a "normal life", she said. "My answer was that he can have his back when I get mine back.
"His conditions of early release from prison were that he followed these conditions and he agreed to them. Now he's recanting and that's basically what he's done his entire life with his victims."
The victim said she was still suffering because of the crimes Shipton committed against her. "The biggest thing would be suffering chronic post-traumatic stress disorder. That is a life-changing illness."
The disorder, which included anxiety, stress and depression, had affected her ability to work and build relationships with people, particularly men, she said. "I'm still receiving regular counselling to put my life back on track."
Shipton's attempts to have his parole conditions changed had triggered post-traumatic stress disorder again.
"I seriously didn't expect to have this conversation until January 2014. I'm extremely offended."
A Parole Board spokeswoman said any offender who is subject to release conditions could apply to have them varied or discharged at any time.
THREE TRIALS, ONE GUILTY VERDICT
January 2004: The Dominion Post reveals that three men – assistant police commissioner Clint Rickards, councillor Brad Shipton and salesman Bob Schollum – are alleged to have raped a teenager and violated her with a police baton while all three were policemen in about 1986. The woman who made the allegations, Louise Nicholas, said she sought help at the time of the incidents, but was ignored.
Police open an investigation into the allegations.
July 2005: Four men, including Shipton and Schollum, are found guilty of raping a 20-year-old woman in a beach hut in Mt Maunganui in 1989.
August 2005: Shipton is sentenced to eight years' jail for two charges of rape and three years for abduction for sex and unlawful sexual connection.
March 2006: Rickards, Shipton and Schollum are found not guilty of raping and sexually abusing Louise Nicholas in 1985 and 1986.
March 2007: Rickards, Shipton and Schollum are found not guilty of kidnapping and indecently assaulting a 16-year-old girl in Rotorua in the 1980s. At the end of the trial, it is revealed that Shipton and Schollum are already in jail after being found guilty of the Mt Maunganui rape.
November 2008: Shipton is granted parole after serving just over a third of his sentence. He maintains his innocence and two psychological assessments find he does not pose an undue risk to the safety of the community.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Is a living wage the right move for Wellington City Council?Related story: Living wage voted in despite criticism