Girl bound, gagged for disobeying angry father

22:16, May 18 2012

She refused to go to her room, so a 10-year-old girl was gagged and bound with duct tape and shut in a laundry by her furious father.

Having tied both her arms and legs, he walked away, not returning to free her for 10 minutes.

The 36-year-old Masterton man this week admitted assaulting the girl, as well as injuring her by flipping her out of bed during an argument.

The software developer and father of two, whose name is suppressed, was sentenced in Masterton District Court to nine months' supervision.

The court heard how, during an argument in September, he told his daughter to go to her room for "being naughty" and not doing as she was told.

When she refused, he carried her screaming to her room, where she started hitting the door.


He then carried her into the laundry and shut the door, but she continued to make a noise.

He returned with a roll of duct tape, police prosecutor Sergeant Greg Peters said.

"He taped the victim's hands and feet, before placing a single strip of tape across her mouth, before shutting the door and walking away."

The man told police he bound the girl because she was trying to escape through the laundry window, and freed her 10 minutes later.

However, the girl told police that she freed herself and did manage to escape through the window.

The man's lawyer, Peter Stevens, said his client has been struggling with the breakup of his marriage for some time, and deeply regretted his actions.

"Immediately after the incident he enrolled himself in a parenting course and he's also doing an anger management course."

The two children had been taken from their school and were now being looked after by their grandmother.

Judge Tony Walsh sentenced the man to nine months' supervision, ordered him to attend a Stopping Violence programme, and sought an urgent Family Court referral for the family.

Contact Seamus Boyer
Wairarapa reporter
Twitter: @SeamusBoyer

The Dominion Post