Taupo stabbing accused already on bail

03:02, Jun 11 2012

A Taupo teenager was on bail when he allegedly stabbed two tourists, and threatened another man with a kitchen knife during a drunken rage on a busy street on Thursday night.

Jason Jordan McKenzie, 18, was remanded in custody without plea in Taupo District Court yesterday on two charges of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

Justice of the peace Doreen Blyth remanded McKenzie to appear in Rotorua District Court next week.

At the time of the alleged stabbings, McKenzie was on bail after being arrested and charged with an aggravated robbery of $160 on May 23 in Taupo.

Taupo police acting area commander Tony Jeurissen said police had not opposed bail on that occasion but could not comment on the reasons.

McKenzie is expected to be charged with breaching his bail conditions when he next appears in court.


Before the stabbings on Thursday night, McKenzie had allegedly been drinking bourbon mixes with two young women.

The police case is that McKenzie got into an argument with a flatmate, grabbed a 25cm kitchen knife from his flat and walked down the road towards the Taupo Cosmopolitan Club where he allegedly threatened a staff member with the knife through a metal fence.

The 21-year-old chef ran inside the building.

A few moments later, around 5.50pm, McKenzie approached a group of tourists walking along Tamamutu St and is said to have stabbed a man in the chest before running off.

The victim, Simon Wadey, 42, of Whangarei, suffered a 2cm deep wound.

Mr Wadey had been in Taupo looking to buy property.

He stumbled into the Silver Fern Lodge where lodge manager Clare Ngatai and a guest, a trained nurse, attended to his injury.

Seconds later another tourist, Supratim Ray, 24, of Sydney, came into the lodge clutching a 6cm stab wound to his lower abdomen.

Police say McKenzie approached Mr Ray and two women friends as they walked along the street and demanded money.

Witness Silena Cutting, 24, said a man had shouldered Mr Ray as they walked past.

"I thought he was looking for a fight but I didn't know he had stabbed him," she said.

"He looked like he was wired, and on drugs," she said.

The attacker ran off, discarding the knife in the bushes, and was arrested by police a short time later.

Mr Wadey and Mr Ray were airlifted to Rotorua Hospital for treatment. Mr Wadey was discharged the same night. Mr Ray remained in hospital last night.

Contact Mike Watson
Taupo reporter
Email: mike.watson@dompost.co.nz

The Dominion Post