Fire at London's Kiwi House

MARK GEENTY
Last updated 07:07 09/08/2012

Relevant offers

A fire broke out at Kiwi House in London after an outdoor barbecue exploded, witnesses say.

The garden area of the haven for New Zealand Olympic fans near King's Cross Station went up in flames but there were no reports of injuries.

The fire service attended but the blaze was under control.

Onlookers posted photos of the fire on Twitter, with Andrew Scott writing: "One of the gas hoses to the BBQs caught on fire. Extinguishers didn't work, since then there have been 3-4 explosions."

Scott said everyone seemed to escape the area quickly.

Around 6.35am (NZT) Kiwi House tweeted that it had a "rather large fire engulf the outdoor bbq area. Everyone is ok. We're closed till further notice."

Asked if it would be open again in time for the closing party, Kiwi House said it was way too early to tell.

"Just gotta get the situation under control and see what happens."

Kiwi House was opened by the New Zealand Olympic Committee on the eve of the Games and has proven popular with New Zealanders who can watch the live TV feed on the big screen.

It has a capacity of 300.

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post

Special offers
Opinion poll

How excited are you about the 2014 Commonwealth Games?

It's gold, bring it on

It's okay, like a watered-down Olympics

Not really - but I'll be once NZ serve up some dramatics.

Old episodes of Friends are more exciting.

Vote Result

Related story: After the hype, time to let the Games begin

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content