Gastro outbreak at Wellington rest home
Dozens of elderly people at a Wellington rest home have been struck down with a highly contagious stomach bug.
Regional Public Health said 37 people, including staff, at Huntleigh Hospital and Rest Home in Karori contracted norovirus over a 10 day outbreak.
No one had died and the last case was reported on Saturday, medical officer of health Margot McLean said.
The severe stomach bug can cause vomiting and watery diarrhoea along with fever and stomach pain in some cases.
Dr McLean warned people who felt ill to stay away from rest homes while they were sick and for 48 hours after the last symptoms.
All visitors were banned from entering Huntleigh for about two weeks – with one exception.
A man was allowed to visit his mother on her 100th birthday, Enliven Presbyterian Support central general manager Nicola Turner said.
The 53 elderly residents were not allowed to gather in the lounge and attend their recreational activities because the virus is so contagious, she said.
All surfaces had to be steam cleaned during the lock-down to rid the rest home of the virus.
It comes after gastroenteritis outbreaks affected children at four childcare centres and residents at two rest homes in Wellington last month.
- The Dominion Post
The $850m Transmission Gully will be ...Related story: Ball gets rolling on Transmission Gully