Chemical leak in central Wellington

Last updated 17:49 09/11/2012
haz std
CRAIG SIMCOX/Fairfax NZ
SUIT UP: Emergency services workers put on protective suits before entering the Base backpackers.

Relevant offers

A hazardous gas leak forced the evacuation of hundreds of people from a building on Cambridge Tce today.

Wellington City Fire Station's senior station officer, Paul Lyall, said a refrigerant gas had leaked from a valve inside the former Telecom phone exchange building, which now houses a backpackers.

A technician met fire fighters outside the building about 4pm and said there had been a valve failure on the fourth floor, he said.

‘‘From the information we received, we upgraded it to a hazardous substance situation.’’

Fire fighters in chemical protection suits inspected the building and found the gas was not flammable, Mr Lyall said.

One person who inhaled a small amount of the gas was assessed on site by paramedics.

The Fire Service was in the process of scaling back its operation and ventilating the building by about 5.15pm, R Lyall said.

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post

Comments

Special offers
Opinion poll

Do you have faith in police solving burglaries?

Yes - there's no faulting their commitment.

Mostly, but they are under-resourced.

Sort of - depends on when and where.

Not really - clearly a low priority for them.

Absolutely not.

Not sure - luckily I've never been burgled.

Vote Result

Related story: Burglaries figures down but fewer being solved

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content