The bodyguard who provided personal security for Sir Peter Jackson on The Hobbit red carpet has had an assault charge against him dismissed.
Thomas Andrew Gibson, 42, former director of Wellington's failed Temperance Bar, was due to appear in court today on an assault charge from July 21 as the charge was not to go ahead he did not appear personally.
Police prosecutor Mark Wilton asked for the charge to be withdrawn saying the file had been reviewed by the police district prosecution manager.
He did not say why the charge was not proceeding.
Wellington District Court judge Joanna Maze said it was not her practise to allow the charge to be withdrawn on the day of the hearing but asked if that meant the police would then offer no evidence.
Mr Wilton said he had no difficulty if the judge wished to deal with it that way.
Judge Maze dismissed the charge and excused Gibson’s attendance at court.
Lawyer Andrew Davie appeared for Gibson but made no application.
The Dominion Post today revealed Gibson failed a criminal history check and should not have been granted a licence to work at the premiere of The Hobbit.
- The Dominion Post
How soon will you visit the new war memorial park?Related story: War memorial park all but completed