He's hot property on YouTube, but Korean superstar PSY's horse-dancing hit Gangnam Style did not do enough to become New Zealand's favourite song of 2012.
The biggest-selling single of the year was by Canadian singer Carly Rae Jepsen, whose debut hit, Call Me Maybe, spent five weeks at No 1 and remained in the charts for more than seven months. PSY had to be content with the runner-up spot.
The Top 40 Chart, produced for the Recording Industry Association of New Zealand (RIANZ), records sales from five digital and five physical retailers, including iTunes, Amplifier, JB Hi-Fi and The Warehouse.
British crooner Adele stamped her mark for the second year running, with 21 the top-selling album. The album was No 1 for 12 weeks and charted for 48 weeks.
Depending on your musical outlook, it was also a triumphant return for boy bands, with international sensation One Direction charting at No 2 with their album Up All Night.
Not to be outdone, New Zealand's answer to One Direction, Titanium, recorded the third most popular local single of the year, with their hit Come on Home.
The country's obsession with barbecue reggae continued, with Six60 boasting five of the top 20 singles of the year. They also had the top-selling New Zealand album of the year, and came in at No 5 on the overall top 20 albums of the year.
Flight of the Conchords' charitable single for Cure Kids, Feel Inside (And Stuff Like That), was the top-selling New Zealand single and went platinum (roughly 15,000 sales) in just two days.
RIANZ chart manager Phil Matcham said the introduction of top 20 lists for New Zealand artists highlighted the diversity of the country's music. "Even with many acts crossing over to the main Top 40 charts, the New Zealand Top 20 remains a true celebration of the variety and talent we have in our country."
TOP OF THE POPS
TOP ALBUMS OF 2012
1. Adele - 21
2. One Direction - Up All Night
3. Ed Sheeran - Plus
4. The Black Keys - El Camino
5. Six60 - Six60
6. Lana Del Rey - Born to Die
7. Taylor Swift - Red
8. Mumford and Sons - Babel
9. Bruno Mars - Doo-Wops and Hooligans
10. Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto
TOP SINGLES OF 2012
1. Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe
2. PSY - Gangnam Style
3. Fun. feat. Janelle Monae - We Are Young
4. Nicki Minaj - Starships
5. Flo Rida feat. Sia - Wild Ones
6. Flo Rida - Whistle
7. Maroon 5 feat. Wiz Khalifa - Payphone
8. Flight of the Conchords - Feel Inside (And Stuff Like That)
9. Fun. - Some Nights
10. Gotye feat. Kimbra - Somebody That I Used to Know
TOP NEW ZEALAND ALBUMS
1. Six60 - Six60
2. Peter Posa - White Rabbit: The Very Best Of
3. Gin Wigmore - Gravel and Wine
4. Kimbra - Vows: Deluxe Edition
5. Home Brew - Home Brew
6. The Black Seeds - Dust and Dirt: Deluxe Edition
7. KORA - Light Years
8. Tomorrow People - One
9. Fly My Pretties - Fly My Pretties IV
10. Suzanne Prentice - I'll Do It All Over Again
TOP NEW ZEALAND SINGLES
1. Flight of the Conchords - Feel Inside (And Stuff Like That)
2. Annah Mac - Girl in Stilettos
3. Titanium - Come On Home
4. Six60 - Only To Be
5. Six60 - Forever
6. The Babysitters Circus - Everything's Gonna Be Alright
7. Six60 - Don't Forget Your Roots
8. Jamie McDell - You'll Never Take That Away
9. Pieter T - My Baby
10. Aaradhna - Wake Up
- The Dominion Post
Who do you think won Key v Cunliffe's second debate?Related story: Leaders debate reveals more even contest