A Wellington building has been evacuated after a meal left on a stove started a small fire.
Six fire appliances were called to the Quest on Willis, in Richard Pearse House, about 1.50pm.
Senior station officer Simon Johnson said smoke alarms alerted people to thefire and initiated an evacuation.
''It's got the potential to escalate and turn to custard, but we got it before it had done any damage.''
Fire crews were now working to ventilate and carry out salvage in the room the fire was isolated to.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Do you think Wellington deserves its spot in CNN's list of top coffee cities?Related story: CNN rates Wellington coffee among best